Campfire Camping One-Pot Chilli
This hearty chilli is perfect camping food. Filling and warming-just what you need for outdoor dining!
Choosing the veggie option is a smart way of simplifying your preparation while camping. Handling meat and keeping hands, surfaces and utensils clean can be tricky whilst using a camping kitchen.
- 500g beef/pork/Quorn mince
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green or red (or both!) pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 oxo cubes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1-2 heaped tsp of hot chilli powder. Add more if you like it really spicy
- 1 400g tin of tomatoes
- 1 tin of kidney beans. If you prefer a different option, butter beans or chickpeas work just as well.
- 1 tin sweetcorn (optional)
1. Heat some oil or butter in a pan. When hot, add the garlic, onions and peppers. Fry for 5 minutes.
2. Add the mince, break it up and fry until browned. If using Quorn, add at stage 5.
3. Add the oxo cubes, chilli, cumin and bay leaves. Stir and fry for a minute or so.
4. Put in the tomatoes, beans (and sweetcorn if using) Season with salt and pepper
5. Simmer for about 20 mins. Add some water if the sauce is too thick.
6. This chilli is delicious served with rice, but if you fancy something a little different it's great with some crusty bread or nachos.
For a little extra Mexican touch, add some sour cream and fresh coriander and cheese.